State Authorization & Professional Licensure Information

State authorization is a longstanding requirement in the Higher Education Act that requires institutions to be authorized in the state in which they are located as a condition for eligibility to receive Title IV Federal student financial aid. Clarkson College is a participating institution in The National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) which Nebraska is a member, under the direction of the Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education.

Clarkson College and its educational offerings are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. Additionally, our graduates can sit for national licensure board examinations and certifications upon successful completion of their degree. However, because state licensure requirements vary by state, Clarkson College is unable to ascertain licensure requirements in every state. It is up to the individual student to be aware of and abide by licensure requirements in the states in which the student chooses to reside and obtain licensure and employment.

As a member of NC-SARA and other state authorizations, Clarkson College is currently authorized to offer online education in all 50 states, commonwealths, and territories. However, NC-SARA does not cover professional licensure. Based on the professional licensure guidelines, specific programs may not be allowed to offer education or educational experiences in certain states. For all programs that lead to a professional license/certification, we highly recommend that you contact the appropriate state licensing agency the state in which you reside or the state where you intend to work to seek the most up-to-date information about state licensure requirements before beginning a program.

State Authorization and Professional Licensure Document - Downloadable either by Excel Spreadsheet or PDF.

All professional licensure programs offered at Clarkson College are designed to meet the requirements of the state of Nebraska and all accrediting bodies for recommending candidates for licensure/certification. Students who wish to practice in a state other than Nebraska may or may not have additional requirements to complete prior to applying for a license in the state of their choice. See the State Authorization and Professional Licensure Document above for specific State by State authorization requirements, professional licensure, and contact information by program for each state. We have authorization in dozens of states and are optimistic about expanding our reach in the future. Please be aware that state board authorization is a fluid situation that is subject to change. If you reside in a state in which Clarkson College’s program is not authorized to offer a program and wish to apply, please contact us at 402-552-3100 and ask to speak with a program director for your program of interest prior to completing the application process.

Please Note:

Courses and programs incorporating an ‘experiential learning’ experience are considered distance education. Under NC-SARA, an ‘experiential learning’ experience means the student reports directly to a supervisor, mentor, faculty member or other qualified professional, located in the host state, who has a direct or indirect reporting responsibility to the institution where the student is enrolled, whether or not credit is granted. Examples of ‘experiential learning’ experiences include clinicals, externship, fieldwork, internship, practicum, or the like. These may require criminal background checks, fingerprinting, and/or drug testing prior to placement. Due to individual and/or state requirements, approval must be clarified prior to attending. Students with a criminal background or felony conviction may not be able to secure a placement. Failure to complete the required experiential learning would prevent successful program completion.

Individual state regulations may also prohibit those with a criminal background from obtaining a professional license or make students ineligible to sit for licensing or certification examinations. Please contact the Academic Program or  


Current and Prospective students who begin an online program while residing in a state in which Clarkson College is authorized to offer online programs need to be aware that moving to a state in which the College is not authorized to offer that program may have negative consequences. While the College attempts to obtain authorization everywhere students live, moving to a state in which the College is not authorized could result in the loss of eligibility for certain forms of financial aid and/or in the inability of the student to complete the academic program. Any student considering relocation should contact their program director for more information regarding authorization and licensure eligibility requirements.

International Applicants Information

Clarkson College works to provide global access to its online degree and certificate programs. We will carefully track issues related to international authorization and licensure, but it is a student’s responsibility to understand requirements related to whether an online degree or certificate will be recognized in a country other than the United States, how the collection of student data may be used in another country, and whether withholding taxes (in addition to the price of tuition) will apply.

Some countries may not formally recognize foreign online degrees and certificates, which may have implications for students who later seek to enroll in other educational programs, or for those who seek employment with that country’s government or other employers requiring specific credentials.

If you’re considering enrolling in an online program that leads to a professional license, contact the appropriate professional licensing board in your country of residence or the country where you intend to work in order to determine whether an online degree or certificate from Clarkson College will be recognized.

Consumer Information Disclosures and Public Complaint Processes

Consumer Information
Public Complaint

The U.S Department of Education

The U.S. Department of Education requires that we provide you with the contacts from other states who you can contact in case you were to have an issue. The list provides contact information for all 50 states, Commonwealths and Territories.